Most Effective Growth October 23, 2014 / Brian Howe
Personal Invitations to church are the most effective growth mechanism
This is from church growth expert Win Arn:
In your research, have you found that there’s one specific reason that visitors come to church?
The friendship factor.
We’ve asked more than 50,000 people over the last 10 years why they came to church, and between 75 and 90 percent of respondents say, “I began attending because someone invited me.”
- 2% by Advertisement
- 6% by the Pastoral Invitation
- 6% by organized evangelism campaign
- 86% by friends or relatives
In other notes, I have these statistics:
- Only 2% of church people invite an unchurched person (Thom Ranier, 2003)
- One study found 37% of Christians linked their conversion to being invited to church (Johnson, p. 91, citing a 2003 study)
- Martha Grace Reese’s work showed 40% who joined first came because a friend invited.